in Slot Car History
In 1958 the Mabuchi Industrial Co., Ltd. was established with the goal of manufacturing small electric motors. In April 1963 A small electric motor (FT type) is developed, and is sold for use in model racing cars. Open frame motors by Pitmann and others would soon be replaced by cheap can motors from Japan. Mabuci produced 250,000 MOTORS per day in the mid-sixties.
In order to gain more performance the armature was rewound with heavier gauge wire. Other improvements included improved endbell material, better brushes, springs, cans and magnets. a small industry led by Ron Mura and Champion of Chamblee, would develop around the customization and aftermarket parts for these simple motors.